henpecked

August 26, 2008

Mr Holland's Opus

I love love love love love this movie. Films and good music, i'm a sucker for them. Even the crappy ones. This is however not one of those.

I'm watching it just now and Beethoven is being discussed and i've always been completely dumfounded by him. There's being a genius and there's going beyond what's possible. He was 31 when his deafness occurred and from the little i've read, it obviously plagued him but never stopped him.

"How can I, a musician, say to people 'I am deaf!' I shall, if I can, defy this fate, even though there will be times when I shall be the unhappiest of God's creatures...I live only in music...'"

Amazing.
If only we all had even a shred of that grit and determination. It doesn't half make you feel ordinary. But ordinary isn't so bad.
Florentijn Hofman


ray charles - i've got a woman

© midnight hagette. Design by FCD.