thantophobia

September 30, 2008

It's not quite right but i'm getting there. The problem with such dark eyes as these is they lose all detail, the eye becomes a midnight black void and that verges on cartoony. Not good and usually i can avoid it but my skills are still fairly rusty. Excuses excuses. I just suck right now and the pupil/iris is far too big!

The reason for the baby eyes (which i never finish it would seem), is that i am in the midst of researching children's feelings towards shuffling off this mortal coil. Not easy to find out, may i add. It's all to do with my project on the moment of death using deconstructive portraiture to somehow portray it - an almost impossible feat, but one i continue to pursue.
What i'm trying to do is create the details of somebody, the features that make up a history and make them precise but then fade them away/block them from view. Sometimes aggressively, sometimes gently. Who knows, but i wanted to use children to begin with because there's a potential history there, a clean slate which makes them look almost serene. Y'know babies, when they're happy they're really happy. They've got no conscious constraint on their feelings. They're honest. Yes, honest, that's what it took me a paragraph to say. I suck.
Thus why i am trying desperately to get my pernickety attention to detail back as soon as possible. Otherwise, my tutor may scowl at me and i don't want her to, she's such a lovely American lady.

I'd forgotten how much i like being on buses, with tunes and a good book. Alone time. I forgot to buy The Edukators though. Idiot.



arthur russell - this is how we walk on the moon

© midnight hagette. Design by FCD.