arms against atrophy

March 04, 2009


Lately i've been working with acetates of my drawings to create a literal layering effect. It was a suggestion from my tutor to do so as i have so many different drawings of children that have to in some way tie in together. As my project has taken a turn from the moment of fluctuation, life and death, here but not here and so on, to the concept of Limbo and that in Catholicism, unbaptised children are essentially damned to an existence of 'joyful ignorance'. Neither sinful or sinless, they merely exist with no outlet for their emotions and are deprived of the knowledge of God.
The damned are punished, the blessed are rewarded, the unbaptised are abandoned.
But they do not suffer because of it.
For a more detailed reading i would suggest Giorgio Agamben's 'The Coming Community: Limbo'
Thus, the layering comes from the fact that when i read and think about Limbo, thousands upon thousands of unfortunate souls appear in my head. They aren't singular as i have previously imagined. The acetates provide a quick way of fusing the images together and retaining my drawings. I'm very adamant that i don't lose my skill.
I think i will be drawing back into these, for a different blend of materials as i do tend to get stuck in the classical methods.
Another thought would be to project these onto young women or even the sea - more likely my pond!, in relation to the poem by Seamus Heaney, 'Limbo' which is also heavily influencing my work.
I've got lots of ideas in relation to this stuff, it's just a case of seeing if it's possible and getting it done for the assessment!

Also! I've reinstated myself in the printmaking department - so if you're ever looking for me, you'll find me in the back, resembling a chimney sweep =]
I'll be trying to do some etching in the next couple of weeks but at the moment i'm involved in monoprinting which is taking me away from my painstakingly, annoyingly detailed drawings to something more painterly. Odd for me. I'm hoping to produce enough of these to cover walls and create a suffocating experience of being closed in by the unfortunate:

Excuse the rambling, i needed to figure out what to say in my critique on Thursday =]



susanna and the magical orchestra - believer

© midnight hagette. Design by FCD.