pillow shots

May 06, 2009


For a long time now i have been following Robin Cracknell's work. I first discovered him on DeviantArt and felt a very strong pang of envy for the images he creates and the purposeful but surprising - even to himself - damage he does to them.
The process in which he creates his work can be read in depth here.
After receiving the feedback from my final assessment, i was informed that my work had a filmic quality to it, as if i had grabbed my characters from moments within a movie and forced them down onto the page. In essence, a drawn film still. I liked being told that very much. I took it as an opportunity to look back at Cracknell's work and take note of the way he presents you with everyday, rather run of the mill moments from childhood and makes them cryptic and unexpected.
Something i wish to do within my own work. I think film will be a larger influence within my work throughout the Summer, or at least for the time being. I like the idea of everyday scenes that can be changed with the simple addition of something that does not belong. Just as you would see in a film.

I am also stupidly in awe of Cracknell's notebooks:



claire de lune - claude debussy

© midnight hagette. Design by FCD.