all my life

November 04, 2009

Ridding ponds of their annual stock of decaying leaves is not a fun job at all.
And we have five!

I don't think anyone on the planet hates Dave Grohl or even mildly dislikes. It's pretty hard to loathe someone so damn nice and is responsible for some of the best, iconic music of his genre.
However, the Foo's new song, 'Wheels', taken from their Greatest Hits is heartbreakingly reminiscent of, dare i even mention them on my blog, Nickelback. Very sad, very sad indeed.
I hope Mister Grohl gets back to the likes of Monkey Wrench, Learn To Fly and Stacked Actors for his next venture. One of which being his supergroup collaboration with Josh Homme and John Paul Jones, to form Them Crooked Vultures - awesome name and artwork to boot.

I've got a strange relationship with music right now. It used to be the thing i loved most of all, over books, films and even art but for the past year or so it's left me cold. I don't really have the energy to search it out anymore because after trying for so long and only discovering a couple of bands that i truly, truly love, it's all just a bit too disappointing.
Maybe it's that current music isn't quite hitting the mark for me or that it's all just a bit too easy for musicians to get signed these days and we're being overrun with mediocre crap.
I'm finding it all a bit sad but i do find things. Eddie Vedder's soundtrack to 'Into The Wild' is incredible, Thomas Feiner's 'The Opiates' is a piece of genius, Bon Iver i've loved the minute i discovered him on a free cd - i treasure free cds - a while before his landmark performance on Jools Holland. But it's not enough. I crave music but i'm just not getting it right now. In any sense.
What makes it worse is the disappearance of the music store. I'll be distraught the day cds disappear. One of the most enjoyable things to do is spend hours in a music store, rifling through countless genres of music and happening across miniature wonders. FOPP is the last remaining place that happens for me but i barely go since its disappearance from Dundee. A sad day for my buddy Sinead and I. It doesn't happen on the internet, yes there are suggestions of what you may like but there's no happy accidents. It's all just a bit too easy.
I think i'll spend some time with the oldies, de-clutter my LP player and get back to basics with my parents' record collection.

Dave Grohl reaffirmed my love for him on Jools Holland last night whilst playing Times Like These and with his acoustic performance of My Hero for the massively annoying Fearne Cotton.
Watch Jools on Friday for Erik Mongrain's performance. Another of the treasures i've found and refused to tell people about. Weirdly protective of the music i find.

dom said...

Shame about the bands link with that AIDS denial group

Louise Boyd said...

Darn. That's pretty shady. And i thought he was perfectly perfect in every way. =[

dom said...

I tend to try and ignore what bands do outside of their music but the Foo Fighters AIDS thing was pretty disappointing. It makes listening to Green Day impossible mind, they love telling you their opinion. Well they do now ever since they discovered... actually I have no idea what happened with Greenday.

Louise Boyd said...

I choose to believe it's got something to do with Billy Joe's hair.

I don't really mind when a band uses their music to make a point. As long as it's done well. The Beatles did it well. But they were the Beatles. It's better than someone constantly forcing it down your throat like Geldof & co. The only plus to that lot is the donations they make.

I feel like ranting. But i shan't. I shall just say that it gets my blood boiling when celebrities appear on adverts talking about the dying, the abused, the starving. It's such an awful contradiction, because would they give up their millions for anyone? No, i don't think they would. I don't like being patronised by morally bankrupt people.

dom said...

The thing with Greenday is that they sound like they are protesting against something with an album called American Idiot (and an overly extravagent video to When September Ends) but completely 'sell-out' (for lack of a better term) and contradict whatever message it was that they were trying to punk out.

It sounds like I have a lot to say about Greenday and a lot invested in the band emotionally, I don't and I have no idea why I keep talking about them, some of their songs were pretty catchy though! Greenday aren't even relevant anymore anyway, ignore me.

On Geldof, Live Aid always seemed like a really empty gesture. A concert isn't going to fart out economic stability and infrastructure for a region in the world the rich would rather forget about. Although we all had a great time partying that weekend.

I haven't seen many commercials like that recently. There are some good people out there with huge amounts of money, like Bill Gates, not as cool as Steve Jobs though.

© midnight hagette. Design by FCD.