adso

February 28, 2010


Another season gone and another devastatingly intriguing ending.
Why must i love these three so much?
And why are they making an American version?
Did they look at the retelling of The Office and think it'd be a good idea?
I don't really understand the point of remaking already great shows. I was looking at a list of American tv shows remade for the UK and most them are rubbish to begin with, whilst the UK remakes are of some brilliant shows that should never have been touched:

The Young Person's Guide To Becoming A Rock Star
Queer As Folk (i've seen the American version and it's pretty appalling)
As If
Fawlty Towers (that's sacrilegious)
Outnumbered
even This Life

I don't get it.
An easy fix however, ignoring their existence.
I sound like i hate American tv, which couldn't be further from the truth. I'm wholly engrossed in Mad Men right now and got lost for at least a few months in Battlestar Galactica last Summer.
If asked to list my favourite shows, the percentage of American creations would tip the balance considerably.
I just don't like what happens to shows, that basically have 'We're British' stamped on their asses, when their shipped over to anywhere but here.


On a less curmudgeonly note, i finally watched UP today.
Totally worth the wait. Equal favourite with Finding Nemo, for sure.

dom said...

Oh dear, Mad Men is amazing isn't it?

I think I'm in love with Don

dom said...

Still haven't seen up, I'm terrible

also, I like that book thingy you've added. If only I read more books it'd be useful for me!

I don't read enough, I'm even more terribler

My vocabulary is tiny because I don't read enough, I'm the terribleeest

Louise Boyd said...

Dom! I watched District 9 for you - amazing by the way - you must watch UP for me!

And Don is freaking amazing. I love him but he kind of repulses me at the same time. Not as much as Pete though. That poor silly fool, he's practically alien.
I'm halfway through season 2 right now, seeing how long i can make it last 'til the season 3 boxset comes out!

dom said...

I'm a little naughty because I started with a few episodes on the iplayer because I wasn't entirely sold on the 60's ad agency thing but yet again I proved to myself what a fool I was. So I ruined a few things for myself.

Despite all his flaws Don is a pretty rad dude. Having just watched the final episode of series one and that presentation he does on the Kodak Carouselle is beautiful and redeems him in every aspect. Or maybe I'm just easily swooned? Yeah the guy has got issues but I do love him so. Everytime a new woman enters his life and you just know he is going to sleep with her you can't help but do a little sigh to yourself.

Oh yes, I was wondering if I was the only one to solicit such strong feelings towards Petey. Infact, most of the young people in the show irritate me terribly. Especially those 'hippies' which isn't like me

I love how everything sounds on the show which isn't something I appreciate often but there is something different about how things sounded back then, hard to describe but yeah

My dear, you should watch 'Wonders of The Solar System' on BBC One, hosted by a Mr. Brian Cox who I'm quite fond of (he did a few horizon episodes). There is some beautiful stuff in there. Some wonderful visualisations of our little solar system and some fantastic footage, if you can watch it in HD (if your internet connection is up to it or you have one of those fancy HD boxes) you definitely should. It's marvellous.And it's nice to see someone with such enthusiasm presenting.

And yep, District 9 was a great sci-fi film. I may buy the blu-ray today because I'm jonesin' for another fix of South African frollicks and 'fookin praawnz'.
Pixar are really upset with me not watching UP yet.

This reply was awfully late. You see, I've been watching the Iron Man 2 trailer on replay for about a week now. Just for that amazing piece of design at the end of the trailer where Mr.Stark uses that suitcase suit. I'm such a kid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siQgD9qOhRs

dom said...

ugh, that was the wrong trailer!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNQowwwwYa0

What d'ya reckon?

Louise Boyd said...

Oh, the carousel! That really was the moment where he became a god. It made me scold my brain for not being as clever as this fictional, advertising savant playing role-play in front of me. Easy on the eyes too.
I was thinking about it last night, as i'd finished series 2 the night before - thrilling stuff - and it kinda struck me that i've seen the these people act before, i know they're actors and yet they feel as if they're being who they should be. Vincent Kartheiser, i know he was in Angel and i know he's a real person but he can't be anyone but Pete. Same goes for Elisabeth Moss. John Hamm was in Gilmore Girls for crying out loud but he's Don bloody Draper! Now, that's magic. You get actors like Alan Rickman, who is spectacular and can be just about anybody he wants but i still know it's Alan Rickman. John Simm too, he's nifty at that kind of acting. But it's different from the Mad Men cast - they're real i tell you, real! - if i didn't have some sense i'd be convinced that there really was a Don Draper out there, working his way through the female population, whilst mentally abusing his Grace Kelly look-alike wife into an adolescent girl.

See what brilliant shows make us do. They make us ramble! Nice, ain't it? =]

Started watching Nurse Jackie last night. I'd been watching it on BBC 2 but they're so erratic with their schedule that i couldn't keep track. Cue my awesome Dad surprising my sisters and I with the boxset. It's too good. So good that i love every single cast member and wish they would set up shop in my humble wee town. If you haven't seen it, please please! do.

I saw the one on Saturn! I'd never been that into Saturn, i found it a little dull but i'd never really read anything about it. Mr Brian Cox made me a little, a lot in love with it though. Those rings, those wondrous, icy rings! I get a little 'oh-holy-hell-if-i-think-too-much-about-the-universe-my-brain-will-fall-in-on-itself-and-the-world-will-cease-to-exist', whilst watching stuff like that. It's magical, i mean properly magical. How can anything exist like that. It doesn't seem feasible. Humans really aren't a pretty species when you think about it. Look at that planet and then look at us. Yes, we have brains and that's cool and all but we can't make bits of ice orbit round us in perfect circles! I want to be orbited dammit.
Sounded alarmingly dirty, i don't know why...

Hmm. Don't hate me but i loathed Iron Man. As much as Robert Downey Jr makes me do a happy dance every time he's on screen, i just couldn't stand that film. Although, you're right, the suitcase suit was pretty neat looking. Maybe it's Paltrow. She makes me feel violently ill. She's ruined so many movies it's untrue and she made Chris Martin wet! Okay, he was wet already but at least he wrote good music, now he's the Duke of Drivel. And don't even get me started on her kids' names. I actually feel tense just writing about her. Uchhhtttt!

She will be the cause of the day i start knocking people's hats off.

dom said...

Unlike you I'm not familiar with any of the actors in Mad Men. I think I've seen John Slattery in a few films and Desperate Housewives(I'm not sure why). I guess I prefer it that way because I will always think of them as Pete Campbell or Don Draper forever and ever and ever.

They recently did casting for the part of Captain America, I don't know much about the character but I'd of thought Don Draper/John Hamm would be great, I reckon Don Draper is the perfect representation of the American man in the 50's/60's. Plus I love him. But they decided on Chris Evans who I quite like especially in Sunshine (suuuuuunshine!). Any excuse to see Don Draper in a superhero suit beating up nazi's.

And on a chris evans related note, have you seen the trailer to Scott Pilgrim vs. The World? It looks rather spiffy. And Edgar Wright has a track record of being awesome. So I'm looking forward to it.

trailller

I keep hassling you with trailers. They get me far too excited.

I'd heard some mumbles and murmurs about Nurse Jackie and how it is meant to a good programme. I have not had chance to watch it yet but I definitely will. I have attached a post-it note on my cat so I remember.

I'm not sure if I've asked you before but did you watch The Wire when it was shown on de BBC? If not.....sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeit.You must watch it dear. If not to just remind yourself of America's superiority to us in the realm of drama(well modern tv drama). I'm not sure if you care about politics/sociology centric themes but if you are the wire is chock fullathestuff. And if you're not the story telling and characters are so good it doesn't matter.

Brian Cox is lovely some people say he gives off a creepy vibe but I don't get it personally. I hope he becomes one of those public figures for science like Patrick Moore, Karl Sagan or David Attenborough who make science easily understandable and exciting for stupids like me.

For that planetary rings we have two options. Turn you into a human mobile and just use our crafts knowledge to turn stationary products into an attractive array of felt/paper rings. Or we have to find some way to give you enough mass to give you a significant amount of gravity to attract interstellar ice and dust to orbit around you. Maybe when the higgs boson is found and we figure out how to manipulate it we can get cracking on that.

I forgive you for hating Iron Man. I'm not sure whether Gwyneth Paltrow annoys me. I guess I'm ambivalent toward her. Actually that goes for coldplay and Chris Martin aswell.
But I can understand how one actor can ruin a film (if that was the case with Iron Man). I reeeeeeally disliked young Leonardo DiCaprio, so much so I avoided most of his films until recently. I think it was the immature me protesting against all the girls that idolised him. Take that! How very futile. I don't like Cameron Diaz either but that hasn't changed recently. Her best role was in Being John Malkovich because it was least like herself oh and she gets a pass on Something About Mary.
It made watching Gangs of New York a little difficult to watch.

I can wear a hat so you can knock it off all you want. I don't usually wear hats. But I'm willing to do it.

Oh yeah, I watched Kick Ass. Nicolas Cage is fantastic as usual.

I don't reply quick enough do I? I blame the new pokemon game. I still play pokemon are you ashamed to know me-even virtually?
Did you get into pokemon when you were in school and everyone was trading cards or whatever?

© midnight hagette. Design by FCD.