for dom

February 18, 2010


'In January 2002 an unexplained burst of light equal in brightness to 600,000 suns issued from a star in the constellation Monoceros. The event produced a series of "light echoes," as radiance from the flare-up ricocheted off surrounding clouds of dust. By last year the echoes were fading around the cool red star responsible for the bizarre spectacle.'

This is blu-tacked to my wall.
I think i nabbed the article from one of my Dad's New Scientists, i'm not sure. I try not to spend too much time reading NS, it usually finds some way to terrify me.
Hiccups. All i'll say.
I like space though, so there was no way i wasn't stealing it.
If i could find it, i would be painting my ceiling with galaxy paint.
I saw it being used on a decorating program a good few years ago and had a little fit of glee. I don't know if it's the same stuff exactly, perhaps why i haven't painted everything in sight with it.
How lovely would it be to fall asleep to an indoor galaxy every night though.

This little, slightly rambled post is dedicated to my dearest friend Dom.
For he likes space and that's pretty neat.

dom said...

This came at the right time aswell, I have a cold and feel all horrid but this cheered me up Miss. Although I do love sneezing and I'm getting plenty of sneezes with the subsequent head rush.

Thank you, I've never had a blog post just for me!

During my night time treks I'm frequently checking the stars using that free distant stars app for my ipod and for once I'm able to spot what stars are what. It's rather cool. Now I just need a telescope to peer at Saturn's rings and all that.

I had to try paint a nebula-looking thing for a project of mine and it weren't half hard. You just can't go recreating something like that with a measly paint brush/whatever what has taken nature billions of years to form violently and chaotically without any kind of deliberate process. They always come out looking kinda contrived, I think? Unless you let nature paint it like Keith Tyson did for his Nature paintings:

http://www.keithtyson.com/#/projects/naturepaintings/

The site is a little hard to navigate but they are really cool paintings. Especially the one that looks like an aerial photo of a tropical island and another that looks like the surface of the sun. It's pretty clever stuff.

This is almost like a proper reply! Not me rambling!

That second photo was taken on my birthday a few years ago, how is that for coincidence? It's a fantastic picture

And I will link you to this video that I just watched that I thought was a particularly well made and lovely video

http://vimeo.com/9078364

Louise Boyd said...

Dom, for goodness sake start a blog. You find such ridiculously lovely things. I've watched that video three times and i think i'm going to go back for more.
And the paintings. Oh my, the paintings. The Nature Paintings book is now on Amazon wishlist - rather extensive wishlist.

I didn't even notice it was taken on your birthday. I'm crap. Sweet deal though, something so pretty occurring on the celebration on such an awesome birth as yours.
I'm jealous, so i'm going to find something wonderful that happened on my birthday. I know a rocket was launched on the actual day in '87 but for some reason, i don't find that all too fantastic.

Feel better Domatron! I've got the sneezes too but rather sporadic ones. Odd.
I hear drinking's good for sickness. Old lady drinking that is, lots of warm, tea-like drinks.
My sister accidentally took paracetamol and Lemsip once. It gives a stoned-like effect apparently. Neat

Apparently i can't help but ramble nonsense at you.

Shatner was on the tv today!

© midnight hagette. Design by FCD.