golden years

February 15, 2010


Yeasayer. Not a band i fell in love with instantly, but for some reason listened to their debut album, All Hour Cymbals, on repeat for days.
It turned out to be one of my most loved albums.
I really like when that happens.
So, today i downloaded a track from their sophomore album, 'Odd Blood'. It was the free single of the week on iTunes.
Stellar choice, Mister Apple.
After the guttural, tribal sounds of their previous release, i really wasn't expecting what blasted out of my speakers.

yeasayer - O.N.E

There are so many influences going on here and i love them all.
From Depeche Mode to Animal Collective, Talking Heads to FrankMusik, 80s dance like Adamski & Seal, and even a little Bowie thrown in for good measure.
But all the while remaining very much, Yeasayer.
I know a lot of people who get pissed off when bands change their style like this, and to a degree i can understand because it can really suck sometimes - cue obligatory Coldplay reference. But i like it, it's dull when bands stand still. It becomes stagnant and boring. Yes, it can go horribly wrong but sometimes it goes the way of Yeasayer.
Oh so listenable.
Everything about O.N.E just kills me, so excuse me while i listen to it obsessively and hunt down the copy of Odd Blood that i know is lurking in my house somewhere!

© midnight hagette. Design by FCD.