peake

August 16, 2012

Once upon a time-theory, when alone on the great bed, I found that no sooner had my head left the pillow that I fell wide awake. How far I fell I cannot say, but the light was brilliant all about me and the shrill cries of birds were loud in my ears - so loud, they seemed, that I could not tell whether they were in my brain or whether, all around my head and limbs, they spiralled in a flight too fleet for vision.

I could remember nothing save that I had come out of darkness - a kindly, muffling darkness, a daylight darkness, a summer of sepia, and that I was now in brilliance, the brilliance of night, very thrilling to the bones, where everything seemed diamond clear and
close, frighteningly close, and palpable, stereoscopic and edged, and a kind of dye-like lucency coloured the merest grain of rock - the smallest frond.

- Mervyn Peake
The Weird Journey


Listening to: Gotye 'Bronte'
© midnight hagette. Design by FCD.