mud

September 18, 2013


mud mud
mud mud mud
mud

As happy as i am to see Matthew McConaughey putting his acting abilities to use instead of squandering them in idiotic romcom trash.
This really isn't his movie.
Don't get me wrong, he's really really good in it but he was just so utterly outshone by the kids acting alongside him, that it was actually kind of a shame.
When i first saw the trailer for Mud, i immediately knew i wanted to see it.
There was no question.
But from the way the trailer was shot, i assumed it was going to be McConaughey's story.
I was wrong.
Tye Sheridan takes the lead in this slow-paced, modern take on Mark Twain's iconic story and he doesn't just shine, he practically glows in the dark.
Reminiscent of a young Brad Renfro in The Client.
That fizzing energy he had that was somehow compressed to the point of explosion but never released, was never more present in Sheridan's performance.
I hope he doesn't lose that.
It's a rare gift in the film world.
River Phoenix had it.
Renfro had it.
Ryan Gosling has it.
(watch Drive or Half Nelson if you don't believe me)
Paul Dano has it.
But when success is achieved, it can descend into the comical and not the good kind.
No.
The 'big' kind.
The De Niro kind.
And that just won't do for Master Sheridan.
Not at all.
We'll leave the 'big' acting to good old Matthew.
Which i'm hoping to see none of in his new show with the often harshly judged, Woody Harrelson.
That man act his ass off.
And don't you forget it.
Doesn't this just scream, 'hell the fuck yeah!'?
I can't wait.
In part, okay mostly, because of this:
It's worrying how hypnotising this is...

dom said...

Mud was rather good. I kept seeing a resemblance to Jennifer Lawrence in Sheridan's face, I'm not sure if that's just me though. So then I kept being reminded of Winter's Bone and I guess the two films share a few familiar themes and the backdrop of rural america.

I'd have liked to see the women characters in the film being little more than the instigators of strife though, those women with their duplicitous ways! Cheating and lying! Again, that may just be me. There were points in the film that is verged on being a bit more nuanced regarding this but never really follows through (Haha followed through).

Am I a big ol idiot? Yes

Louise Boyd said...

I agree with you wholeheartedly on every point. Especially the lack of female integrity. Women are nothing more than bitches, blah blah blah. No we're not. Shut up.
Could have done with a bit more fleshing out. Especially Reese Witherspoon's rather superfluous character.

It was a pleasure to see McConaughey acting again though. He was masterful in Killer Joe but i think he really shined - as much as was possible next to those sparkling adolescents - in Mud. Reminded me of the days of A Time To Kill.

© midnight hagette. Design by FCD.