wallflower

October 27, 2013

A friend of mine went to see The Perks of Being a Wallflower when it was first released at the cinema.
He was not impressed.
Now, i value his opinion but i'm going to disagree with him here.
I think this has to be one of my very favourite movie adaptations.
Not because it was a wonderful movie.
It wasn't.
But because it was an almost perfect replica of the novel and invoked the same feeling i had when i was reading the book.
Plainly? It's just a really sweet story that any fucked up 'wallflower' will have some form of emotional response/attachment to.

I'm a wallflower.
Through and through.
Born and bred.
So i feel monumentally empathetic towards the lead character, Charlie and his quiet, overthinking, socially inept ways.
So, maybe this is a film for people like myself.
My fellow introverts who get shunned so badly because we desperately need there to be quiet in our lives in order to survive.
Who don't find the same joy in partying, getting blindingly drunk and other 'cool' pastimes.
And consequently feel weird and out of sync with everyone else because of this.
In one sense this is how the novel and film get it wrong because Charlie isn't a true wallflower.
Yes, he's shy and troubled and feels out of step but he has that little bit of courage to take a risk and engage with the things that scare him that most of us just don't have.
To most people, i'm sure i come off as sullen, uninterested and standoffish but really, i'm just painfully shy.
So much so that even forming words when confronted with a fellow human being becomes the most difficult thing in the world.
My brain shuts down.
My mouth dries up.
Every anecdote of information i have stored up in my brain dissipates and i'm left desperately looking for a way to leave the room and just go home.
It's safe there.
My books are there.
That's what being a wallflower is and somehow that's a bad thing?
I've had countless discussions concerning this with my sisters and we always come to the same conclusion that the introverts of the world need to take back their right to solitude.
To be content with staying in and gorging ourselves on fantasy tv series and not feel like freaks because of it and! we don't even have to speak to each other while we watch.
What's with all the talking?
Aren't your vocal chords sore?
How can you have so much to say?!
...
This got a bit ranty.
ftw
...
Wallflowers?
Assemble!



Ps. The casting for the film was incredible.
When i first read about it i was extremely doubtful, not being an Emma Watson fan - excluding Hermione of course - but she was actually perfect for the role.
As was Logan Lerman as Charlie and most of all Ezra Miller as Patrick.
This boy can turn his hand to just about anything and do it more justice than you thought possible.
I remember seeing him in City Island, which isn't a great movie but he stole every scene he was in with a mere look. 
Charisma, you can't fake it.


PPS. Can you imagine hearing Bowie's, 'Heroes' for the first time?
I never have.
It's one of these songs that feels like it's been filtered into my subconscious since the moment i was born.
Maybe even before then.
Like The Beatles and Frank Sinatra.
It's just a part of me.
So i'll never experience those first moments of Heroes like someone completely innocent to it and that makes me a little sad.

PAPAWINDY said...

I read this post before I went to sleep this morning. It resulted in us being stars in the movie. I played the main part though. Even though some would assume I would be more suited Patrick. Our climatic ending unlike the film resulted in my being fired from my job from non-other than Hulk Hogan. For being to boisterous and flamboyant with my life. I'm sure this outcome is due to me spending the last few days with a real life wrestler.

I feel i should give the movie a second chance tonight and maybe i should stop hanging around with wrestlers so i can go back to dreaming about rainbows and unicorns. Actually writing that out, it does sounds awful.

I need a new hobby.

This film reminds me of one of the last times we spoke on the phone. I do remember well because i asked you to be in attendance with me to go see it.

It's been a year...just sayin...

PAPAWINDY said...

Couldn't believe i was watching Eastbound and Down tonight and this happened http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxuhaVVCmLk&feature=share&list=UUzzjV1nzt8E4t9KO4SyZWdA

Louise Boyd said...

Hah! Most excellent. Is Eastbound and Down worth watching? I'm not exactly sold on the lead actor, i don't get his 'funny' but i've heard decent things about the show. Advise me oh wise Papa!

A year? Get lost! Really? Wow and i'm even more of a hermit now. As i said in a previous reply, send me messages and emails and whatnot. It'll hopefully get the ball rolling for good old phone conversations again. Once i turn my phone back on that is...

Ps. You're Patrick with some Charlie thrown in. Was i Sam? I don't know how i feel about that if i was...

PAPAWINDY said...

East Bound and Down is well worth Watching. One of the best things ever to grace my eyes. Yeah he pretty much plays the same part in everything. He is super abusive in this but it works and you tend to side with him even when he's being an ass.

Yes really a year, I have acquired a vast amount of stories in that time too. Lost jobs and people :( but gained new ones for both. The new folks must be tired of hearing about you as you do come up in conversation a lot. I think they are starting to assume I am catfishing myself though.

As for Patrick yes I'd say I was most like him. Best friends would say it was because i'm a gaymin, workmates would say it's the flamboyant ways. i do tend to float and pounce around work. In the dream though you were Patrick.

p.s i just replied to your email.

Louise Boyd said...

No way! I was Patrick?! That's so much better! Did i mouthrape you in the dream? I bet i did.

You romancing any girls just now? It seems that whenever we talk there's a new girl taking your fancy, you big ladies man :)

© midnight hagette. Design by FCD.