march

April 05, 2018


Things i've enjoyed in the month of March:

The Good Place:

Eleanor Shellstrop, you're beautiful.


An expectedly bonkers and bloody nod to those classic 80s horror movies i love so very much.
My favourite part?
Robbie Amell being delightfully psychotic:
There's something about those Amell boys.




Something i really enjoyed about this was the acceptance of ghosts and all their icky, sticky residue.
I'm so over characters struggling to accept paranormal occurrences so this was refreshingly direct and really quite... haunting, for want of a better word.

Sidenote: As an artist (or formerly known as. I'm working on it... mentally) the composition and chiaroscuro (yeah, i totally just went art school on your ass(es)) of K-Stew's hand is so goddamned pleasing to the eye i can't stop staring at it.

Side-sidenote: Look to Egon Schiele if you want to see how a god draws hands.

Rewatching and finally finishing Weeds:
It may have gone a little to shit but those damned Botwins... i'll love 'em 'til the day i die.

Re-reading The Erl-King

Angela Carter is forever my lady, my queen, my goddamn literary deity.

The Autopsy of Jane Doe

AbeBooks' list of The Best Female Authors of All Time:

So happy to see my ladies Tartt, Allende, Carter, Morrison, Hulme, Russell and Rowling in there.

Table 19:

The Scouts Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse:
If i told you they were singing Britney Spears with a zombie, would you believe me?

M. L. Rio's If We Were Villains:

"These violent delights have violent ends
And in their triumph die, like fire and powder,
Which, as they kiss, consume. The sweetest honey
Is loathsome in his own deliciousness
And in the taste confounds the appetite."

- Romeo and Juliet
Act II, Scene 6

Not the most original of quotes to use but nonetheless the most poignant.
...
This savaged me.
I clutched it to me and sobbed until i had nothing left.

Also, dyed edges:

When it comes to books, i'm Achilles and this is my fucking ankle.

Haley Bonar's Golder:

This isn't the sound i'm used to from her (perhaps because it came before i was aware) but it's raw and  welcome.
Especially Before the Dark.

By Gods* it breaks me in two.
And the lyrics are just... beyond.
...
My powers of articulation, not so much:

Child, you bathed in the garbage water
That’s how you got so sensitive!
In the trailer made of tin and hives, when
Your mother was still alive
Before, before the dark gets dressed
When you love the hallowed sin
Can I hold your heart again?
Men blow in and out like wind
We all end when it begins
Before, before the darkness gets dressed

And to think i may not have bothered with it if Graveface Records hadn't been offering their entire catalogue for free at the end of last year.
And like the greedy monster i am, i downloaded everything i didn't have already with a speed i'm not entirely proud of.
...
Monster am i.

When i'm sad, my sister makes me things.
Ridiculous things.
Wonderful things.
Gudetama things:


Everytime i look at his butt i can't help but (yes, i just did that) smile and hear these immortal words:
My sister's better than yours.

The return of Santa Clarita Diet:
Drew Barrymore eating people is far funnier than it should be.

My anxiety over A Court of Thorns and Roses being brought to the big screen:

There's no human in the 'verse that could embody any of these goddamned perfect fuckers.
Casting Feyre is going to be bad enough but what about Rhys?
WHAT ABOUT RHYS?!
...
If they fuck this up... oh bloody hell, they're going to fuck this up!
Excuse me while i prepare my heart an indecent amount of wreckage.

My very own Boxtroll:

And the fact that lately whenever i'm sitting at my desk he comes to lay at my feet as if the most fearsome lump in all the land might actually like me**...

Leigh Bardugo's Six of Crows:
My girl Bardugo never lets me down but i couldn't have imagined she'd make me love a set of characters more than the ones in The Grishaverse.
...
Drusjë...

Side-butextremelyimportant-note: Once i've read something i love i tend to go on a rabid Fan Art trawl.
This happened and now i'm pissed off.
And i'm pissed off for Nina Zenik.
And all plus-size women of the world.
When a girl/woman is described as "...indecently round..." draw her as indecently fucking round, you assholes.
Do not shrink her waist.
Do not size down her arms.
Do not flatten her stomach.
Do not narrow her thighs.
Do not rob her of her wondrously full cheeks.
And for the love of all that's holy do not diminish a woman's body by changing it to suit your fucked up standards of beauty.
Nina Zenik is strong, smart, sweet, powerful, hilarious, kind, sassy as fuck and more woman than any of you sizeist schmucks could ever handle.
...
I'm done.
But i'm still pissed off.

Receiving my FairyLoot box:


This is my first book box and i can't say i'm disappointed.
I don't even like candles but it smells like chocolate Panettone and i can't stop sniffing it... even the Boxtroll up there likes it.

And finally, a few more additions to the family:


I need a Funko intervention.


* I read way too much Fantasy. If you do as well then this will make perfect sense.

** For those who don't know, Charlie wandered into our house a few years ago and kinda just stayed. We think he's 3? 4? 5? years old and mean as fuck but not as much as he used to be. Now we sometimes get to touch his oh-so-soft-it's-ridiculous belly, have him wrap around our ankles for food without fear of fangs being embedded in our flesh and give us noggin' when he's just come in from whatever demon behaviour he participates in outside the house. We kinda like love him. 
SaveSave
SaveSave
SaveSave
SaveSave
SaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSave
SaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSave
© midnight hagette. Design by FCD.