panopticon

April 11, 2014


'I'M AN experiment. I always have been. It's a given, a liberty, a fact. They watch me. Not just in school or social-work reviews, court or police cells﹣they watch everywhere. They watch me hang by my knees from the longest bough of the oak tree; I can do that for hours, just letting the wishes drift by. They watch me as I outstare the moon. I am not intimidated by its terrible baldness. They're there when I fight, and fuck, and sank. When I carve my name on trees, and avoid stepping on the cracks. They're there when I stare too long or too clearly, without flinching. They watch me sing, and joyride, and start riots with only the smallest of sparks; they even watch me in the bath. I keep my eyes open underwater, just my nose and mouth poking out so I can blow smoke-ringsmy record is seventeen in a row. They watch me not cry. They watch me lie like an angel, hiding my dirty feet. They watch me, I know it, and I can't find anywhere any morewhere they can't see.'


- Jenni Fagan
The Panopticon
(Page 1)

© midnight hagette. Design by FCD.