black lives matter

June 04, 2020




Dear ones, Like many of you I have seen and heard and witnessed the racial injustice making its way around our screens, again. I need you to know that while this may shock some of you it’s not new. And if these are the cases caught on video think of the countless instances of people dying in secret, in hate, in fear. Black Friends and folks, I’m sorry we continue to fail you. That our systems continue to fail you. I’m sorry you have to be constantly triggered and retraumatized when these things come into the light. White Friends and folks, we need to stop sharing these unthinkable terrors and do the work. We have the privilege of looking away, swiping away, or setting down our phone when things feel uncomfortable. Don’t. The only way to truly unlearn is to walk straight into the discomfort. Listen to POC for what we can do to change things, share plans, funds, knowledge, and our spot to speak at the table, to those who can actually teach us. Black and Brown folks already fear, they don’t need to be reminded just because we’re all of a sudden being enlightened. Take care of each other.
A post shared by Jess Bird🌈 (she/her) (@blessthemessy) on


The number one response I get when I talk about our white privilege. I understand all life matters, but all lives are not equally in danger. If both my sons were playing and one broke their arm and one didn’t I would not give them the same medical treatment. I would take care of the one in more danger. It would not mean one mattered more than the other, it would mean one needed my aid faster. It’s not a competition or a confrontation. People come in this space who don’t even follow me and just start nonsense in my comments. Today I’ll just block, no one needs to be triggered by ignorance. Take care of each other. . . It’s been brought to my awareness that @rachel.cargle posted an article in Harpers Bazaar that my post is very similar to. I HIGHLY respect her, financially support her work, and learn from her and probably even read the article at the time and it just stuck in my consciousness. I had zero intention of ever trying to be credited with her work, I only was trying to silence the non stop stream of voices. Either way it’s not okay and I acknowledge that and take responsibility for not citing her.
A post shared by Jess Bird🌈 (she/her) (@blessthemessy) on


Finding the right words in a time like this is nearly impossible. There are no words strong enough to fully convey how this feels. I want you to know that I am WITH YOU. Now is the time that we must come together to speak out against injustice. We must take a step back and recognize our privilege and use our voices to speak up for those who have been and continue to be oppressed. I pray that we are in a time that is changing the course of history. Where the systemic racism that has run rampant in our society for so long is finally eradicated. The time for change is NOW. This is not a time to comment about how all lives matter, because frankly, all lives cannot matter until black lives matter. Please, donate. Share. Use your voice - speak out against injustice. #blacklivesmatter #justiceforgeorgefloyd
A post shared by @RawBeautyKristi on YouTube (@rawbeautykristi) on


⁣There’s a conversation that’s being had that you need to join. That I need to join. Like many of you I’m not an expert in social justice and I’m not the person anyone looks to to make sense of crimes against black livelihood, but I know I never will be if I freeze and hope someone else will carry the cross. If you are the person who takes flight in these scenarios (looks away, encourages others to look away, or worse flees and then tries to absolve your guilt by victim blaming) I don’t have the skills to manage your sociopathy so I didn’t address you. ⠀ ⠀ Activism has many avenues and here are some entry points if you feel enraged by the murder of #georgefloyd #breonnataylor #ahmaudarbery #tonymcdade and the systematic undermining of black lives ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ 1) listen to and empathize with those who are directly impacted. If you don’t know anyone directly impacted by this murder you need to change up your outlets of information including who you follow.⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ 2) Learn 3 key messages and discussion points from the #blacklivesmatter movement that you can memorize and share in your day to day life (I’ll share my 3 on IG stories)⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ 3) Start an uncomfortable conversation on this topic in the next 24 hours. Be that on your socials or with someone you personally know. Be OKAY with that conversation not going well (I’m prepared for that to happen here) because this is new and you can’t expect to do anything new perfectly. Rinse and repeat these steps. Follow leaders in this space who know what to do next
A post shared by Shan Boodram (@shanboody) on


A post shared by Ben O'Keefe (@benjaminokeefe) on


A post shared by Ben O'Keefe (@benjaminokeefe) on


I’ve been trying to word out my thoughts these past few days, and everything seemed to be either too preachy or too cynical. Besides, who wants to hear anything from someone who lives on the other side of the planet from where all of this is happening. I’m just here to share silly doodles and characters, and to maybe make your day a bit brighter. But then I realised that, even though I’m thousands kilometres away, this still affects me. It affects all of us. This IS us. It’s impossible to stay unaffected and to continue your day as usual after witnessing that horrific scene of an innocent person dying. We’ve had our fair share of police brutality here in my country, and you feel so powerless when those who swore their lives to protect, are the ones who misuse their power and hurt innocent people. However, I was born and raised in a racially homogeneous country, and probably will never understand what’s it like to be treated differently based solely on the colour of your skin. I remembered that South Park episode where Stan keeps trying to understand Token (who is black) and his emotions. In the end Stan says “I get it. I will NEVER get it.” And Token says “Now you get it”. And I think that captures my feelings as well. I may never understand how’s it like to be treated poorly solely because of my race, but I will always side with those who are treated unfairly, especially from those who hold the power. I don’t know if I managed to express my thoughts correctly, sorry for rambling. Keep your communities safe, keep your families safe, keep yourself safe. Sending you all the love and support 🖤 #blackouttuesday
A post shared by Behemot (@behemot_crta_stvari) on



A post shared by matt bernstein (@mattxiv) on


Social media has been a bit overwhelming since I first put up this post so it has taken some time for me to post this. On Friday, I shared this content on Twitter after I felt the conversations online were like screaming into an echo chamber. I wanted to provide those who wanted to support and be an ally with practical tips to move forward and make a change in our society. I am still somewhat surprised and overwhelmed by the reception so please take patience with me at this time. — For a note on who I am to those who have followed me from Twitter, my name is Mireille. I'm an assistant editor and I do freelance writing, PR and sensitivity reading and other bits on the side. I am extremely passionate about diversity and inclusion, and everything I have shared is not new knowledge to me. From as far back as I can remember I've been campaigning, fighting for equality and supporting and working with black owned organisations. I have worked in the diversity and inclusion space for around four years and I have been equipped with knowledge, skills etc through that work as well as through wider, intensive reading and being raised by a Jamaican mother who has a degree in Women's Studies. I felt as a mixed race person who was emotionally capable despite the current situation that I could use my learned experience, skills and compassion to offer this advice to allies and anyone else who was seeking advice but didn't know where to turn. This is now on my stories as a highlight so please feel free to share from there or here. — A small reminder that this took emotional labour and POC, especially black people are not here to teach you everything. When I said ask how you can support, I meant on a personal level as a friend etc. I hope this toolkit provides you with the starter info you need but there are genuinely people more experienced than me who warrant your listening to - please go and follow @nowhitesaviors, @laylafsaad, @rachel.cargle, @ckyourprivilege, @iamrachelricketts, @thegreatunlearn, @renieddolodge, @ibramxk + a few more: @akalamusic, @katycatalyst + @roiannenedd who all have books or resources from many more years of experience. _ Peace, love and light 🙏🏼❤️🌟
A post shared by Mireille Cassandra Harper (@mireillecharper) on


A post shared by Linda Hallberg (@lindahallberg) on

Trying to listen.
Trying to learn
Trying to do better.

© midnight hagette. Design by FCD.